- Why do you think McEwan chose to set On Chesil Beach in 1962?
- How does McEwan build suspense despite the limited setting and action in the story?
- Why do you think Florence was "frigid?"
- What do the flashbacks to Florence and Edward's childhoods reveal about the characters?
- What details from their courtship were important to understanding their actions?
- Were you surprised that Florence and Edward divorced?
- How does this story speak into our modern culture despite being set more than 50 years ago? Is their any continuity in fears and feelings about marriage, sex, and identity?
- Rate On Chesil Beach on a scale of 1 to 5.
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
BBC Questions for Friday July 23rd On Chesil Beach
Posted by Teresa Bell at 6:10 PM